Type in some words to find a read code, select it from the list and press return to find out about the map. Alternatively you can enter a Read code in the format xxxxx-nn. Undefined character must be replaced by full stops e.g. H3...-00. This makes more sense the more you use it, honestly!
The results box
Most of primary care in the UK will be moving from Read codes to Snomed CT in April 2018. There is a huge amount of data already held on practice computer systems and this will be moved to Snomed CT using a map.
I am quite interested in this map, both from a curiosity about how these things work and also a need to understand how the data about my patient will appear after the change.
Currently the computer systems are using Snomed to a degree. Snomed CT was partly created out of Read codes so there is a pretty good mapping of concepts. Computer systems are currently using these concepts but with the Read code heirarchy used in place of the Snomed one.
My approach to this site is to explore the map. None of this is a prediction but is a way of applying the Snomed heirarchy to the current Read codes. My practice uses EMIS and they plan to leave current searches as they are. That will mean that they don't change on day one but will become increasingly unpredictable as more concepts without a Read code equivalent are used in records.
Similarly a list of patients with diabetes will look different depending in which heirarchy the searches are done. I am interested in which concepts appear as children but were not before and which no longer apply.
Snomed CT is, in almost all cases, more accurate than the Read code system. However it is different, and this is my way of exploring the differences.
Gavin Jamie email@example.com September 2017
Read to SCT Browser includes SNOMED Clinical Terms® (SNOMED CT®) which is used by permission of the International Health Terminology Standards Development Organization (IHTSDO). All rights reserved. SNOMED CT® was originally created by the College of American Pathologists. “SNOMED”, “SNOMED CT” and “SNOMED Clinical Terms” are registered trademarks of the IHTSDO (www.ihtsdo.org)
Use of SNOMED CT in Read to SCT Browser is governed by the conditions of the following SNOMED CT license issued by the IHTSDO:
1. The meaning of the terms “Affiliate”, or “Data Analysis System”, “Data Creation System”, “Derivative”, “End User”, “Extension”, “Member”, “Non-Member Territory”, “SNOMED CT” and “SNOMED CT Content” are as defined in the IHTSDO Affiliate License Agreement (see on the IHTSDO web site).
2. Information about Affiliate Licensing is available at http://www.ihtsdo.org/snomed-ct/get-snomed-ct. Individuals or organizations wishing to register as IHTSDO Affiliates can register at mlds.ihtsdotools.org, subject to acceptance of the Affiliate License Agreement (see on the IHTSDO web site).
3. The current list of IHTSDO Member Territories can be viewed at www.ihtsdo.org/members. Countries not included in that list are "Non-Member Territories".
4. End Users, that do not hold an IHTSDO Affiliate License, may access SNOMED CT® using Read to SCT Browser subject to acceptance of and adherence to the following sub-license limitations:
a) The sub-licensee is only permitted to access SNOMED CT® using this software (or service) for the purpose of exploring and evaluating the terminology.
b) The sub-licensee is not permitted the use of this software as part of a system that constitutes a SNOMED CT "Data Creation System" or "Data Analysis System", as defined in the IHTSDO Affiliate License. This means that the sub-licensee must not use Read to SCT Browser to add or copy SNOMED CT identifiers into any type of record system, database or document.
c) The sub-licensee is not permitted to translate or modify SNOMED CT Content or Derivatives.
d) The sub-licensee is not permitted to distribute or share SNOMED CT Content or Derivatives.
5. IHTSDO Affiliates may use Read to SCT Browser as part of a "Data Creation System" or "Data Analysis System" subject to the following conditions:
a) The IHTSDO Affiliate, using Read to SCT Browser must accept full responsibility for any reporting and fees due for use or deployment of such a system in a Non-Member Territory.
b) The IHTSDO Affiliate must not use Read to SCT Browser to access or interact with SNOMED CT in any way that is not permitted by the Affiliate License Agreement.
c) In the event of termination of the Affiliate License Agreement, the use of Read to SCT Browser will be subject to the End User limitations noted in 4.
This website also uses a cookie to remember whether you have clicked Accept. It does nothing else with that information and it is not sent to the server.